Monday, June 9, 2014

25th Anniversary of "The Final Frontier"

Well, it's been 25 years since "Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier" opened on June 9th, 1989, and the pain is still there; Sybok could do little to relieve it. (Who, by the way, could have made a KILLING as a psychotherapist on Earth, and done much better than chasing a non-existent Sean Connery.)

There are only a few entries on this film on my blog, evidence of the pitiful reception it had then and the general lack of love. Sure, it had its good points, but so does the drunk Uncle that is an embarrassment to the family. Read the entries on this blog, all compiled here!

5 comments:

Tony Laplume said...

I am among the five people (probably) who like it.

Erik J Kreffel said...

My dad and I went to see STV:TFF at the drive-in, probably the last movie I ever saw that way. It was a double bill with ISHTAR. That should have been warning enough!

It's a shame it was such a critical turkey—Shatner's directing abilities are pretty decent, maybe not Nick Meyer caliber but he got some good performances out of Kelley and Nimoy, particularly during Sybok's memory-reliving sequence. "I need my pain!"

Frederick said...

Tony,
Bad Trek is better than a whole lot of other stuff, and there are certain things that I do like about it, so I will never argue with someone for liking it!
EJK,
thanks for sharing your memories, my dad would never take me to see a movie, much less a Star Trek movie, so you were lucky in that respect, even if it was not such a good film!

neer said...

Very frankly, I've never understood why it is detested so much. It had some very playful as well as some very heart-wrenching scenes. DeForset Kelley was magnificent while reliving his guilt. On the basis of that one scene itself, the movie was worth it.

The 'romance' b/w Uhura and Scotty, however, was totally avoidable.

Joe from Malvern said...

Tony, I am number six.

Cheers!